Wednesday 25 March 2015

It's Cupcake O' Clock

In November 2012, my mom went to a cupcake workshop. She came home with a huge variety of tools and kilograms (I repeat, kilograms!) of edible sugar paste. I used to love Play-Doh as a kid, so it was only obvious that I desperately wanted to learn how to design my own colourful cupcakes!

My very first steps into the magical world of pastry design led to the creation of six animal cupcakes: a sheep, a pig, a panda, a cat (This is my own cat Celesse, to be exact), a dog, and a rabbit. Very basic stuff, indeed, but it definitely triggered my love for cupcake decoration.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhgLRN6RlLl6LdiNQ3XAZDUSo_DgZgUff0SZOiaD2d5LcdmEoPUfm62VWJH2d1TmQH8dKtL0gCbLhaLBqGx75BTFtzWZe7SvkxL0nWKTsAnsczZVapi2Bq5P43CNnR8KsIr2mINBdYewuw/s1600/Animal+Cupcakes.png

Animal cupcakes, November 2012

In January 2013, I was in desperate need of some more cupcake therapy, as I like to call it. I had to study for my exams, but creating a set of video game cupcakes actually seemed more appropriate at that time. o_o; And that is how Genki (Saints Row), Drippy (Ni No Kuni), Daxter (Jak & Daxter), Kratos (God of War), Claptrap (Borderlands), Vaas (Far Cry 3), and Amaterasu (Okami) became a happy bunch of edible heroes! :) At the time of creating this set of cupcakes, I also had a comic series running on the Dutch Official PlayStation Magazine's website, featuring the same characters.



Video game cupcakes, January 2013

I have been a Disney fan for as long as I can remember, so my next set of cupcakes would, of course, feature some of my favourite Disney animals (and monsters, and aliens, and whatever): Robin Hood (Robin Hood), Mike (Monsters, Inc.), Stitch (Lilo & Stitch), Dory (Finding Nemo), Simba (The Lion King), and Marie (The Aristocats).

 

Disney cupcakes, April 2013

My creative friends Eva, Pieter-Jan and Sam, having noticed that pastry design is totally awesome (Told ya!), have recently teamed up with me to create a very large series of Pokémon cupcakes. So far, we have come together three times, and we already made more than 40 different varieties. Our last session was in February 2015. We always keep pushing ourselves to the limit, often spending more than an hour on a single cupcake! Call us crazy. This is my personal set of Pokémon cupcakes: Shaymin, Vulpix, Leafeon, Psyduck, Sylveon, Meowth, Raichu, Eevee, Mudkip, Slowpoke, Umbreon, Skiddo, Altaria, and Marill.


Pokémon cupcakes, 2013 - 2015

People often tell me that the cupcakes look delicious. Personally, I don't like the taste of sugar paste, so I never eat them. I hope to update you soon with more colourful cupcake designs and I am planning on writing a tutorial, as well! If you know me in real life and would like to decorate cupcakes together sometime, do not hesitate to contact me. :)

Leen

No comments:

Post a Comment