Saturday 27 February 2016

Seeker of the Sun

Hey, guys! I have decided that I need to step up my game a little bit. Digital paintings, especially portraits, always seemed to scare the heck out of me. :') They're incredibly time-consuming and I don't feel like I am patient enough to study the human body. Because anatomy. Sucks. Big time. And while I certainly enjoy creating Disney-like characters with thick, black outlines and flat, happy colours (AKA the infamous lazy-ass method), I really wanted to try something different for once. Maybe for twice, who knows.

So, there we are, my first real digital portrait! This drawing took me about 12 hours to finish, so I would highly recommend checking out the full-size picture. :) The cat-eared woman depicted below is Y'shtola, one of Final Fantasy XIV's main characters. She's a "Seeker of the Sun" Miqo'te (kitteh), one of the six different races in the game, and she possesses the ability to cast powerful healing spells with her branch-shaped wand. Yes, you guys, that's a wand.

This drawing might not be perfect, heck no, but I have learned so many things this time! For instance, I ended up adding pink, yellow, and blue highlights, making the character look less detached from the background. The white highlights give the image more depth, and adding the loose hair strands made her haircut look less boring. I really think I should try this again sometime. What do you think?

Bye-bye!

Leen



Y'shtola, February 2016
Paint Tool Sai

No comments:

Post a Comment